Tropical flavors


At Mercado São Sebastião (St. Sebastian market) in Fortaleza you can find many kinds of tropical fruit that are common in Northeast Brazil. They don't look perfect, spotless and shiny; they look natural, and that's good!
From top to bottom, these are their names (most come from native languages): Jaca (jackfruit); Murici (nance); Pitomba (Eugenia luschnathiana, couldn't find a common name in English); Serigüela (jocote); Acerola; Cajá (yellow mombin?); Sapoti ( sapodilla); Cajá-umbu (this is possibly a hybrid between cajá and umbu); Pequi; and Graviola (soursop).

8 comments:

Kerri said...

All your photos are wonderful Geraldo. You have so many different fruits down there in Brazil. I've learned something new here today.
Thanks for sharing the acrobat pictures. I can't imagine hanging in the air up so high. Not for me!
The water pictures are all so beautiful and the words so true.

Cris said...

Destas comuns na minha infância só a jaca e a serigüela, as outras só conheci adultas e ainda importadas do nordeste. Imagino então a variedade de sucos que há lá...

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

i am familiar with a few of those as India too has tropical climes...and u'd like to know the fruit u call Sapoti is what we call Sapota in my mother-tongue, Hindi :)

sonia a. mascaro said...

Que delícia, Geraldo! Ótimas as fotos. Achei muito legal também você colocar os links para as frutas.

Não me lembro se já agradeci à você por ter colocado o Leaves em seus Favorites. Anyway, muito obrigada!

Geraldo said...

Kerri, thank you for your comments on the three posts.
I must confess that I had the help of my wife, who's from Fortaleza, because most of these fruits are unfamiliar to me too...
Moi, I've just learned from my sister in-law that there's a variety of sapoti which they call a sapota...
Cris, além dos sucos, você precisa provar os sorvetes!
Sonia, obrigado por seus comentários sempre gentis!

Anonymous said...

Really liked all the shots...very well captured!

Ash said...

Interesting!!!
In our language (Malayalam) jackfruit is called "Chakka"

Unknown said...

wow geraldo...ate' me deu vontade de chupar umas pitombas...ADORO!!!